Death's Acre, a memoir written by Doctor Bill Bass of the University of Tennessee, takes a deep dive into Forensic Anthropology. Doctor Bass is famous for starting what is called "The Body Farm." This "farm" was started based off of a finding when two teens opened a bunch of coffins, and while opening one, they opened a steel coffin, which is air tight, and at the time people didn't fully understand what decomposition was like. So inside this steel coffin was a fully preserved body from the civil war. Not just bones and hair, skin, muscle, organs, everything. This inspired Doctor Bass to start the body farm, to educate his students, and even police forensic units on how to identify how long someone has been dead in many situations, including underwater, in cars, and many other scenarios to train law enforcement. 

This book is a really good read for people who want to learn more about forensics and similar topics, which to me were really interesting because Forensic Anthropology is something that I am somewhat interested in, but for some people it may make them sick to their stomach. If you get sick or squeamish just thinking about dead bodies or just gross things in general, I would under no circumstances recommend this book. It goes into high detail, which is good for any book, but this amount of detail can be frightening. I hope this review brings some of you to check this book out, I really enjoyed it.

Comments

  1. Nice post! I find forensic anthropology really interesting because I love reading/watching crime, murder, and mystery shows/novels. This may come off kind of creepy, but I think it's fascinating how people working in investigation and forensic sciences can discover so much about someone's story when they themselves are no longer able to tell it. This will definitely be a book I'll check out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I've always been fascinated by forensic science and crime investigation and the origin of the body farm sounds interesting, so I might end up checking this book out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is an amazing recommendation. I'm starved for anything forensic and this looks perfect. Forensic sciences have intrigued me ever since I got my hands on books about them. Both your review and your summary are short and sweet. Well done. I shall have to check this out sometime.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts