Harry Potter Book Tier List, Made by Knox Mynatt, Books Written by J.K. Rowling

Below I have created a Tier List, where I have ranked the Harry Potter books based on how much I enjoyed them, and how engaging they were. I will explain every tier starting with the F tier all the way to the S tier.
 



F-Tier: The Cursed Child - Overall, it was an interesting story, but the way it was written was meant to be for a play, which threw me off at first because of how different it was. Because of this it just didn't feel like a Harry Potter book anymore and I didn't really like it. It was also definitely more wordy than any of the others, because there could be no implying done since it was meant to be a play.

C-Tier: The Deathly Hallows - Overall, I felt as the end of the original series until the Cursed Child, that the ending was very subpar. It was more of a happy ending type of story than anything, but during the story it was very emotional when everything was coming to an end. I give this book a C because I felt it could have been better as an ending book.

B-Tier: The Half Blood Prince, The Chamber of Secrets, and The Prisoner of Azkaban - The Half Blood Prince is one of the Harry Potter books I feel is only known for one moment, and that one moment only. I won't say what the moment is because I don't want to spoil anything for people who haven't read it, but I feel the one moment just overpowers everything else in the story. The Chamber of Secrets is a B on this list because I couldn't decide whether to put it in A or C because there were some amazing elements of storytelling by using the character of Moaning Myrtle as almost a sort of time machine or a look back to past events, but then it also had some parts where I thought weren't as necessary, such as the fact that Moaning Myrtle the ghost was in the toilet but it had to be this way for the story to develop. The Prisoner of Azkaban, just like The Half Blood Prince, I feel was only remembered for a few things, such as the hippogriff and Hagrid dealing with his animals. The other main thing here was Sirius Black escaping the prison and this affects the story down the line but not necessarily directly in this book.

A-Tier: The Sorcerer's Stone - I felt that this was an A-Tier book because it really introduced us to the main characters and it did it in a clever way. Instead of starting at Hogwarts it starts before where no one knows each other until they meet on the train. It was a good way of also introducing the setting of Hogwarts to us slowly instead of instantly.

S-Tier: The Order of the Phoenix and the Goblet of Fire - The Goblet of Fire deserves an S-Tier because of how well the plot develops. The surprise of Harry being selected really builds his character because of what he ends up having to see during the Triwizard Tournament. I feel it also deserves this rank because of the emotional aspect, because you get attached to some characters, and in this book, they're just gone at the end. The Order of the Phoenix, the longest book in this series, is an S-Tier book in my opinion because of how many things happen in it. This whole book is full of emotion, start to finish, and I feel that it really fits well with what happened in The Goblet of Fire, because it almost transitions directly into it seeing as The Goblet of Fire ends very emotionally too.



Overall, this series is amazing and I recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it yet, as long as you're willing to put in time to read 8 books.

Comments

  1. Very well done. I definitely agree with your placement of the Cursed Child; I was very excited to read it, but I ended up dropping it halfway through. It didn't hold the same magic for me for many of the reasons that you specify. Tier lists are quite entertaining to me and you've done a good job explaining your reasoning behind each placement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! I really liked how you've stated why you have placed the book in each tier, without spoiling anything. I plan to read them all, but I hadn't yet done so. I will make sure next time to check it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well this was one boiling hot take after another but I agree with you wholeheartedly, especially on the lower tiers. The Cursed Child was just... off... for me (I don't know how else to describe it, it just didn't fit well with the rest of the series) and the Half-Blood Prince was a big buildup until the one specific moment you talk about, nothing more. Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post. I think you had valid reasons for each of the books. I would have put some (specifically Prisoner of Azkaban, because it's my favorite heh) a little higher. I did have a question though. Do you think that it's worth it for Harry Potter fans to read the Cursed Child, even if it's bad? I haven't read it yet and I'm not sure if I will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this post! I definitely agreed with your placement of the Goblet of Fire and the Order of the Phoenix. Those two books were my absolute favorite ones. I also felt that the Cursed Child was a bit off, and I didn't enjoy it as much as I did the other books, although it was pretty interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts