Movie to Book Adaptation: Django Unchained - By Knox Mynatt




     Django Unchained, a screenplay by Quentin Tarantino, was released in 2012 and details the story of a freed slave searching for his wife who was sold to another plantation. Django, the main character, is rescued by Dr. King Schultz, who is a bounty hunter. Dr. Schultz goes around the country and brings people to the authorities, dead or alive, and gets paid for doing so. Django helps him do this for a while before he is able to locate his wife, who is at a plantation nicknamed "Candyland."


    Later on after the movies release, it was adapted into a 7 part comic book series, which is in my opinion, a bit odd, seeing as it was a movie first and then adapted to a book, whereas usually it's the other way around. The comic book series is much less violent and much less gory than the movie which has a fair rating of R. I really enjoyed the movie, however if you aren't a fan of blood, guns, and white people saying the n-word, I don't recommend it. Based on time period a lot of these things were normal, seeing as this is 1858, so pre civil war era. Other than that, the comic book series wasn't much different than the movie seeing as it was almost an exact copy of the screenplay. 

Comments

  1. I don't think I've heard of many book adaptations of movies before. I can see how a comic book series would work well since you still have the picture element while normally movies and books are completely different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like Quentin Tarantino's movies because high caliber actors work together to make such interesting and tense dialogue situations. It seems like it would be very difficult to create the same degree of intensity using a comic book, but it would be an interesting experience to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I've never seen a book that is an adaptation of a movie, usually it's the other way around. However the more I thought about it, the more I realized this could've been a pretty good idea. Because the comic is drawn, the facial expressions and action scenes could be greatly exaggerated. This is also the same reason I feel that sometimes animations could be better than live-actions. Although if it is a "exact copy" like you said, I do not see any point of making the comic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts