How to Read More Books Pt.2

Woohoo! Last post of the school year! Summer break is right around the corner and it’s the perfect time to pick up a new hobby and start some reading. For my final post I decided to do a two-part summer reading guide (part one is published right before this one). I love to read (it’s literally all I do) and I want other people to enjoy reading too. In the second part of my post, I’ll be recommending what I think is the most efficient strategy to read more books while still enjoying it.

There are a lot of ways you can motivate yourself to read. You could read with a friend or set goals and force yourself to read a chapter a day, but I think the key to being motivated to read is to genuinely enjoy reading. If you pick the right book this won’t be a problem. I recommend starting with a fast-paced and engaging standalone. Standalones work well for people who don’t have a lot of time, but still want a book with a complete and engaging plot. Personally, I’ve had very, very, very little luck from series, so there will be very little series recommendations. The first books are usually just readable, and most of the time I don’t care about it enough to actually finish the series. Here are some recommendations to get you started:

-       Legend Trilogy by Marie Lu, Genre: YA, dystopia, sci-fi, action  

Each book in the Legend trilogy is a fast-paced seat gripper which is why I’m recommending it as a series. The trilogy follows Republican prodigy June and the Republic’s most wanted criminal Day on their chaotic journey through the country. I don’t really like the dystopian genre, but Legend isn’t like the other dystopians and would be enjoyable to both fans and not-so-fans of the genre. The Legend series gets better with each book, so even if Legend wasn’t your favorite I strongly, strongly, strongly recommend finishing the series, it’ll be worth it! (Legend: 4.25 stars/5, Prodigy: 4.65 stars/5, Champion: 4.75 stars/5)

-       A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson, Genre: YA, mystery, contemporary

This is probably my favorite mystery from this year. A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder is part of an ongoing trilogy, but the first book is its own separate adventure so it can be read as a standalone (the second is really good too). This book follows Pip as she attempts to prove the innocence of Sal Singh, who supposedly murdered his girlfriend 5 years ago before committing suicide. I really recommend this book; it had some crazy and unexpected twists. (4.45 stars/5)

-       The Inheritance Games by Jennifer Lynn Barnes, Genre: YA, mystery, contemporary

This is my favorite mystery next to A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder. The Inheritance Games has a plot similar to the movie Knives Out. Broke nobody girl suddenly inherits a crap ton of money from rich grandpa who’s not related to her, and no one knows why. The Inheritance Games follows Avery Grambs as she and the grandkids of now deceased billionaire Tobias Hawthrone figure out the mystery behind her inheritance. This book is part of an ongoing series and leaves off on a cliffhanger but is too fun to not recommend. The book hops right into the action at the start and keeps you hooked and smiling all the way to the end. This book was actually so much fun to read, you’ll finish it 2 days tops. (4.25 stars/5)

I know this list doesn’t cover enough genres, but it’s all I could really fit. I think these three books/series are decently written and would be really enjoyable for most everyone without super specific tastes. I hope these books can motivate you to read more because it’s a really amazing hobby. (I decided to add a list with some more books, but you’ll have to look up the synopses :p)

1.     The House in the Cerulean Sea, Genre: fantasy, magic, cuteness overload, amazingness, happy tears

2.     Illuminae, Genre: YA, sci-fi, space, the big laugh, pretty cover

3.     A Million Junes, Genre: YA, magical realism, contemporary, romance (I usually don’t like magical realism but this one was good)

4.     Carry On, Genre: YA, fantasy, magic, LGBTQ+ (character-based book, first part is a little slow, but I really liked it)

a.     The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue, Genre: YA, historical fiction, LGBTQ+ (If you enjoyed Carry On you’ll like this one, also a character-based book)

5.     Graceling, Genre: YA, fantasy, adventure, romance

6.     Angelfall, Genre: YA, paranormal, urban fantasy, romance

7.     Lovely War, Genre: YA, mythology, historical fiction, romance (I usually don’t like insta-love, but this book is good enough that I didn’t care, cried several times while reading, character-based plot, the feels!)

If you’ve managed to put up with me talking about my favorite books until the end, congrats and thanks for reading! :D

-       Have a nice summer, Bridget

Comments

  1. Great post! I love your synopses; the books sound very interesting. You recommended several of these books but, unfortunately, I have yet to read any of them. Hopefully, I'll finally get to them once summer starts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't actually read any of these but I'll probably check some of them out. For me I prefer books that have more interesting characters and settings and while I generally finish faster paced books faster, That's usually just because they're faster paced. Though some of these still sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that it's hard to motivate myself to read too, but once I pick up a book, I find myself just sitting and reading for the rest of the day (unless the book is really bad of course). I'm also not very responsible so I tend to forget to return books. I haven't been reading as much recently because I don't really know what to read, but hopefully I'll be able to start reading a bit more with your book recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your great organizational skills really stand out in this post, Bridget - I especially like how you listed out the genre(s) of each book akin to "tags," which made the post easier to navigate, and I also agree with you that standalones tend to have more initial success than series due to their length. Overall, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, and love how you made this two parts! Your synopsis's and really good and love you ranking system for the books. I have read Legend, but I haven't read any other books in the series, so I will have to check it out. I also don't recognize a lot of the other titles, so looks like I'll have lots of books to read this summer!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts